The MA in Aesthetics and Politics Program and the School of Critical Studies at the California Institute of the Arts is accepting applications for a one-year position (possibly renewable for two additional years) to begin in the Fall of 2022. The MA Aesthetics and Politics program is an academic program that studies the crossovers between aesthetic and political phenomena in the fields of continental philosophy, media and urban studies, and global studies. The program’s focus is on crafting an interdisciplinary, aesthetico-political lens for historical and theoretical approaches to contemporary art-making and what’s going on in the world today.
We are looking for scholars whose research, pedagogy, and writing practice aligns with the program’s mission, which includes fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in the School of Critical Studies, at CalArts, and beyond. We seek to employ faculty who can engage our diverse communities of learners at the highest levels of artistic endeavor and critical thinking. We welcome candidates who possess a demonstrated worldview and cultural competency to support teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities and gender expressions. CalArts is an equal opportunity employer.
The salary for this post is $50,000.
4 Courses (2 Spring, 2 Fall); two at the 200-300 level as part of the general BFA curriculum, and two at the 400/500 level as mixed BFA/MA courses that serve as electives for the Aesthetics and Politics Program
Sharing in the mentoring of first year MA students and serving as a second reader on MA theses. Further possible MA thesis direction as a first reader subject to program needs.
Regular attendance at monthly faculty meetings on Wednesdays, and monthly MA program faculty meetings. Expected additional attendance at the beginning of the year for student orientation, winter session program activities (Theorist in Residence), and some program events. Participation in the annual admissions process, review of applications and student selection and attendance at open house days.
- One-year position
- 0.75 FTE Appointment with CalArts’ health benefits plan.
- Submit applications by email to Critical Studies Dean Amanda Beech (email@example.com) and MA in Aesthetics & Politics Program Director Arne De Boever (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, May 9th at Noon.
- Cover Letter, outlining teaching and mentoring experience, especially as it relates to both BFA and MA students in an interdisciplinary art school context, and articulating a commitment to antiracist pedagogy and/or inclusive curriculum development.
- Course Title, Description, and Proposed 14-week Reading List for 2-4 courses, at both the BFA and mixed BFA/MA/MFA level.
- (Optional) Teaching portfolio elements, including teaching statement, sample evaluations, other pedagogical materials.
- Contact details for two referees.